Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My First Day with Polymer Clay

Hey hottie boom-botties,

I have been dying to get into polymer clay!  I want to start making my own kawaii charms out of clay, as well as incorporate it into my gem stone and vintage assemblage pieces.

I purchased a pack of 24 clay colors by Premo, and a craft mat, with my tax return.  (Thanks Amazon and TurboTax!)  I have also purchased some kawaii molds, and other tools, that I am currently waiting to arrive.

I didn't want to start making anything until all of my tools and materials arrived but today I found a need to use polymer clay.

I have this adorable vintage necklace that is missing a pearl in the toggle clasp.  I tried to find a vintage glass pearl in my bead collection to replace it, but sadly I couldn't find anything small enough.

So I decided to use clay.  I selected the white and pearlescent gray clays.

I took 2 tiny pieces 

and smooshed them together over and over again to blend the two together.

I made it a round as I could, being careful not to get any lint on the clay.

Once I was satisfied with the shape I got out my set of two 8" x 8" cake pans that I purchased at the Dollar Tree.

I put my ball inside and clamped it closed.  
This was probably overkill but hey - this is my first time!
I put it in the oven at 275 degrees for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, I'm realizing that I need to make my pearl ball glossy somehow.  I'm in my pajamas so there is no way I'm leaving the house, but I am determined to get this project finished TODAY!
I stumble upon the Polymer Clay Cyclopedia and found that there are several household items that I can use - excluding nail polish.

I decided on Mod Podge Gloss-Lustre

When my ball was done baking I got a pinch of E6000 and used it to glue the ball into the clasp.

Of course I see that my ball is larger than the glass pearl.  Crap.
I am now thinking that I need to pop out the pearl and replace it with another clay ball.
(It does have a little scratch on it so that justifies it right?)

I decided on making another ball instead.  So I popped out the clay ball and started over.  This time I used beige and pearlescent gray clay.  

The first one is on the right and the second one is on the left.

I baked it and glued it in.  They are almost exactly the same size!  Yay me.

Next, get a Q-Tip and dip it in Mod Podge - just a little!  Use the Q-Tip to paint the Mod Podge onto your piece of clay.  (Note:  This is the 1st ball that was too big but you get the idea)

And now it is done!

Much better!  The clay piece is on the left.


I think I'm going to have fun with polymer clay!
Love,
Myria

No comments: