Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Interview of Peter Coombs Designs


What is your art/craft and how long have you been doing it?
I am a Designer Jeweller Metalsmith, creating individual pieces from 20mm to 4m. I've been doing this since 1983 and every day discover something new about myself, my creativity and possibilities.



What got you started?
I was working for a surveyor, building large buildings, bridges and the like. I loved seeing things being created and discovered Jewellery Metalsmithing in my Design Degree.


Are there any other arts and crafts that you would like to try your hand at? If so, why?
I've always wanted to do some glass-blowing and that's probably because of the speed that you can create of forms


What are your favorite materials to use?
Depends upon what I'm making. Mostly 18W Gold for rings, 9W for pendants and Silver for larger pieces. Anodised Aluminium for Spectacles….and just finished a marble and burnished steel table.
They are all favourites and suit perfectly the specific piece.


What and/or who inspires you?
I've been inspired by designers and schools of thought. I particularly like Art Deco and Japanese styling. Charles Rennie –Mackintosh, Rene Lalique….in a lot of cases I'm inspired by music or a conversation. I interpret these into shapes, and from here develop an idea for the client.


What is your contact info?
Website: petercoombsdesign.com
Facebook: Peter Coombs Design
Twitter: PCoombsDesign
Peter Coombs
Designer Jeweller Metalsmith
Fellow of the Gold & Silversmiths Guild of Australia
Australia  
Post a Comment